It is important to note that hip pain is considered one of the difficult conditions to properly diagnose since the pain can originate in various areas and from different causes. The pain can range from a dull ache in the hip joint or a piercing pain that starts from the lower back and radiates to the hip and leg.
Even though thorough assessment and imaging tests can help identify the hip pain, there are some measures that can help you determine the possible causes before a doctor can be consulted.
Measures in identifying hip pain
The following are measures that can be done in order to determine the possible source of the hip pain experienced by the individual. You can learn how to manage the hip pain by enrolling in one of the first aid classes today.
- You have to assess the joints around the hip, legs and lower back for any stiffness, swelling, pain or reddening. The pain can originate from arthritis and can be evident among older adults. You can provide an anti-inflammatory medication to help reduce the pain and swelling.
- Assess the toes on the leg where the hip pain occurs to establish whether they turn out. In case this is the cause, there is likelihood that a hip fracture is present. The next step is to instruct the individual to lift, straighten and stand on the leg. Any pain that occurs while doing this activity can also indicate a hip fracture. A doctor must be consulted right away if the fracture is the potential cause for the pain. Always bear in mind that hip pain that does not manifest from these actions can point to bruised hips which can be managed with application of an ice pack and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Determine if the hip pain actually starts close to the lower back and radiates down to the buttocks and leg. A pinched nerve or sciatica can be a contributing factor to the hip pain if these symptoms manifest. It is best to utilize a combination of heat, rest and anti-inflammatory medications in order to manage the symptoms. In case the symptoms persist or become worsen, a doctor must be consulted.
- Check the hip if the individual sustained an injury. You have to pay close attention if there is a popping noise accompanied by the injury. You can utilize a mirror to help determine if the hip joint appears disfigured and instruct the individual to stand on the affected leg to check if it is capable of bearing weight.
- You have to pay close attention to any clicking sound that is accompanied by pain in the hip while performing certain activities. In such cases, a congenital hip issue that was acquired at birth might be the cause for these symptoms and must be checked by a doctor. The individual should inquire about imaging tests with the doctor. Take note than an X-ray is highly effective in diagnosing the severity as well as the type of hip pain.