CPR – Cardiopulmonary resuscitation is an emergency procedure that helps the
brain work through external pressure or shock until the blood circulation is back to normal. It is very helpful and can save the life of the person experiencing cardiac arrest. In today’s world where the branches of science have stretched to various departments and sections this being a base and a part of first aid is still relevant and necessary. There are many medical institutes and universities that offer CPR Courses.
In the United States there are many organizations like the American Heart Association which are offering online CPR courses. In other parts of the world there are very less institutes that even offer a course on CPR. Most of the courses available for both online as well as inland institutions differ on the basis of its practitioners/students. There are majorly three categories of students who take such courses; health care professionals, trainee or intern, and students of medicine.
Some Online Courses at a glance:
- ACLS – Advance Cardiovascular Life Support: This is a 20 hour online course. It covers sections like CPR, ECC (Emergency Cardiovascular Care, and Rhythm understanding. These courses should be updated to the latest recommended 2010 AHA Guidelines. Any institute teaching older than this course should not be joined. As this is a matter of life and one should not take such a big risk. Saving other’s life is a good thought but that needs proper training and knowledge, outdated knowledge can be very dangerous in medical science.
- BLS – Basic Life Support: As the name suggests, in this course students will learn to save the lives of individuals as well as groups. This course involved 5 interactive classes, 5 practical cases using eSimulation technology, and 1 written test (multiple choice questions). This is a 4 hour online course (excluding the scenarios).
- PALS – Pediatric Advanced Life Support: This is a 5 to 24 hour self-directed online course. It is one of the most useful online CPR courses for nurses and paramedics, who take care of infants and children. This course is especially designed to prevent and or stop cardiopulmonary arrest in children from 1 month to 10 years. It helps the nurses/students understand pediatric rhythm and pediatric arrhythmias. The course has many sub-layers that teach many other important measures and analysis, so that the tender lives of infants is in the most experienced and trusted hands.
- Stroke Training: As a 3-4 hour course it teaches pre and post hospital stroke care. The course is designed such that it provides all the necessary knowledge of ischemic stroke, hemorrhagic stroke and other acute strokes. It trains the students to diagnose, manage, treat and prevent strokes in children and adults. It is very useful for EMS practitioners.
- Workplace training: Divided into many sections this
course is basically a general take-through online self-directed course. It teaches the students about first aid basics, medical, injury and environmental emergencies.
One can select one or more online CPR courses depending on the person’s will and requirements.