A woman whose twin sister choked to death urges first aid training for all drivers. Her twin sister died after choking while on a Para Transpo bus since the operator did not know how to perform CPR.
Para Transpo is Ottawa’s door-to-door transit service for disabled transit users. It was last September when Galina Kamienski was riding on the service when she lost consciousness.
The family primarily believed that Galina had a heart attack but later discovered that she was choking on a candy while in the vehicle. She died in a healthcare facility after a few days. The family was also shocked when they knew that the driver of the bus who had known her sister for almost 3 decades, did not know what to do when he arrived at Galina’s stop and found her unconscious in the vehicle.
According to Kamienski, she assumed that since the drivers were dealing with vulnerable individuals, they have taken first aid and CPR training.
According to Troy Charter, although the city offers training on first aid and CPR to all city employees, the training is only voluntary for the Para Transpo drivers. The OC Transpo is in contact with the family and actively promoting the training to the operators.
The organization is also creating a new first aid program for the Para Transpo drivers with the assistance of the Ottawa Paramedic Services.
It is voluntary for the drivers but if it is something that can save a life, the training is being pushed thru. There are also special constables and supervisors who act as first responders with training on first aid and CPR.
For more information about this story, click here.
Learn how to help by enrolling in a first aid and CPR class and for more information, check out these sources: