Tungsten allergy

Tungsten is a metallic component taken from scheelite or wolframite ores. It has the highest melting point of any metal and quite strong. It is ideal as a high-temperature structural material.

It is utilized as one of the metals in various alloys or mixtures of metals such as tungsten-nickel and tungsten-carbide. These and other alloys are utilized to produce high-density electrodes, wires, filaments as well as jewelry cherished for its toughness. Even though cases are rare, tungsten can trigger sensitivities or allergies.

tungsten-allergy

A severe reaction can trigger a dangerous reaction known as anaphylaxis that is characterized by significant swelling, abrupt drop in the blood pressure and difficulty breathing that causes the individual to faint or go into a state of shock.

Close look on allergic reactions to tungsten

An allergic reaction develops if the body reacts to a substance that the immune system perceives as a threat. Chemicals are released which are responsible for the allergy symptoms.

A severe reaction can trigger a dangerous reaction known as anaphylaxis that is characterized by significant swelling, abrupt drop in the blood pressure and difficulty breathing that causes the individual to faint or go into a state of shock.

What are the signs?

The antibodies along with the chemicals triggers symptoms such as:

Contact dermatitis that arises from jewelry containing tungsten is not typically considered as an allergy. Take note that nickel allergy brought about by tungsten-nickel alloy is the usual root of contact dermatitis from metal jewelry.

Considerations to bear in mind

Tungsten is one of the metals that can trigger allergic reaction particularly skin irritation.

Tungsten allergy is considered uncommon and it is likely an allergic reaction to another metal that has been alloyed with tungsten. If an individual is suspected with an allergy, a doctor should be consulted especially if signs such as facial swelling, breathing issues or hives arise after exposure.

Tags: