Almond allergy is considered as a long-lasting condition since there is no known cure. Tree nuts including almonds are one of the common forms of food allergies that can result to a fatal reaction. Remember that not all reactions are severe that can result to death, but many individuals with almond allergy can experience various symptoms than range from mild to serious.
Individuals who have almond allergy must be careful when eating other tree nuts since they might develop an allergic reaction to other nuts aside from almonds.
What are the mild symptoms of almond allergy?
Some individuals can experience a mild reaction to almonds that can manifest in various ways. The respiratory symptoms from a mild reaction include difficulty breathing and wheezing while the digestive symptoms include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
In some individuals, there is swelling or tingling sensation around the mouth. Hives or itchy rashes can also occur whether the individual was directly exposed or consumed the almond.
The amount of almonds ingested by the individual can also affect the severity of the reaction and the number of symptoms that will manifest. Some individuals have mild symptoms for a few times but they can worsen over time. This may or may not result to the development of a possibly fatal reaction.
What is laryngospasm?
The laryngospasm that occurs due to food allergy specifically almond develops once the offending food triggers swelling in the throat once swallowed. The swelling radiates up to the vocal chords that block the airway.
As an outcome of the blockage, the individual could not properly breathe and eventually die unless immediate medical care is given, usually a shot of epinephrine. In some individuals, the initial exposure to almonds or other tree nuts sensitizes an individual to the condition and can experience laryngospasm on the second exposure.
Anaphylaxis is a fatal reaction to almonds that occurs in some individuals. During anaphylactic shock, the individual initially experiences a tingling or itchy sensation and have a metallic taste in the mouth.
After a period of time usually for a few minutes up to 2 hours, the individual can suffer from severe symptoms that can include difficulty breathing, swelling, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, low blood pressure and eventually loss of consciousness and even death. These symptoms can worsen progressively over a few hours or seem to get better and then recur later which can be fatal.