Irritated facial skin is a usual complaint among those with sensitive skin. The irritated skin might be triggered by various factors including genetics, allergies, poor facial care regimens and environmental irritants such as excess exposure to the wind or sun.
Excessively scrubbing the face using exfoliants or utilizing a cleanser that is too abrasive might be the cause. The individual might have facial eczema which results to irritated, reddened and oozing bumps. If facial eczema is suspected or another health condition as the root, a doctor should be consulted.
Measures to soothe irritated facial skin
- Utilize a cooling homemade cucumber mask every week. Prepare using ¼-1/3 cucumber that has been shredded using a vegetable shredder or food processor. Apply on the skin and allow the juices to soothe the skin for around 10 minutes before rinsing off using cool water.
- Cleanse the face gently every morning and before going to bed with a cleanser specifically formulated for sensitive skin. These cleansers are milder and contain less irritating chemicals than those formulated for normal skin. Utilize warm to cool water while washing to avoid excessively drying the facial skin.
- A mild astringent should be applied on the face particularly witch hazel. This is not too drying than those that include pure alcohol. Place a few tablespoons of rose water to the same amount of witch hazel to create a soothing and cooling astringent that is safe and ideal for sensitive or irritated facial skin. Apply in a gentle manner on the skin after washing with a cotton ball.
- Moisturize the skin using a moisturizer specifically formulated for sensitive skin. Only use those that are labelled for sensitive skin since other varieties might include greasy, irritating components that can worsen the condition. Do not use the anti-acne moisturizers since they cause increased dryness and irritation.
- A humidifier should be used in the bedroom. It helps add moisture and prevents the air from becoming too dry. This helps keep facial skin moist and hydrated. The device is beneficial during dry or winter months when the skin is prone to irritation from environmental factors.