Champagne: Am I allergic?

An allergic reaction to champagne is oftentimes an allergy to alcohol or any component such as yeast, grapes or wheat. A usual root of a reaction is sodium metabisulfite which is a chemical utilized to preserve alcohol.

If an individual is also highly sensitive to vinegar, dried fruit or pickled onions, the source of the allergy is sulfite which is present in these items. Take note that even low-sulfite champagne can instigate an allergic response since sulfur powder is oftentimes utilized to dust over vines.

Headaches due to champagne

champagne

Many who are highly sensitive to champagne might experience a tingling sensation in the mouth or lips after consumption.

Headache is a usual indication of an allergic reaction to champagne. In cases of extreme sensitivity, the individual might end up with severe migraine headaches. This symptom must be monitored carefully. If the headache lasts longer than a day, a doctor should be consulted.

Tingling, hives and swelling

Many who are highly sensitive to champagne might experience a tingling sensation in the mouth or lips after consumption. An allergic reaction often starts with a tingling sensation. The swelling is oftentimes present along with itchiness and hives.

Flushed skin

A usual indication of sensitivity to champagne is redness or flushed skin. An individual with rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis are susceptible to experience redness or flushing if allergic to alcohol.

An elevated heart rate is oftentimes present with flushing. Take note that alcohol triggers an increase of the chemical acetaldehyde in the blood which triggers the release of histamine which turns the skin red.

Risk for anaphylaxis

In rare instances, an allergy to champagne can lead to anaphylaxis which is a severe reaction characterized by erratic breathing, cramping and other symptoms.

The danger signs include difficulty talking, feeling of warmth, constricting throat, chest tightness, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, vomiting, changes in the blood pressure or loss of awareness or consciousness.

An injectable epinephrine is utilized to manage the symptoms until the individual is taken to the nearest healthcare facility.

Tags: